52: Service is Our Natural Function | Who Am I? – Part 3
We learned from the previous episodes how we are actually an eternal spark of life, a spirit soul. Now what? Do we just kind of float around and exist, that’s it?
No – we have an eternal function, an activity in which we align with our true selves and find true happiness. And that is to serve others, and serve the Supreme.
Like Bob Dylan sang back in 85:
“You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side
You may be workin’ in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
You may be somebody’s mistress, may be somebody’s heir
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody”
So who do you choose to serve?
- (0:00) We’re not in full control – and that’s how it’s meant to be. Balakhilya shares his realisations when starting on the yoga path.
- (8:37) We read and comment on the lyrics of Bob Dylan’s song “Gotta Serve Somebody”. Service is our eternal natural function.
- (18:20) For our tendency to serve to be satisfying, we ultimately need to serve the Supreme Person. And that’s not about joining a religion.
- (29:03) The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. This can be a gradual process, and you will never come out a loser.
- (35:59) The real joy as a parent is being able to serve one’s kids.
- (40:37) This knowledge is called Raja Video – the king of all knowledge. It’s a new year; now we’ve got an amazing opportunity to choose to act on that knowledge.
Recorded on January 3, 2022. Read episode transcript on https://breakingtrail.life/podcast/52
Watch video version, join our email list, contribute, etc: