If we want to feel good and be happy, what we eat is one of the most important factors to consider. We all know that some foods are healthier than others, but fewer know that different foods will impact our mental condition in a specific direction.
Depending on what food we eat, we come under the influence of one of the 3 modes of material nature (psychological forces); goodness, passion, or ignorance. As a consequence of this choice, we may experience agitation, anxiety, depression, stress—or peace of mind and heart.
“Foods in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one’s existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such nourishing foods are sweet, juicy, fattening and palatable. Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, pungent, dry and hot, are liked by people in the modes of passion. Such foods cause pain, distress, and disease. Food which is tasteless, stale, putrid, decomposed and unclean, is food liked by people in the mode of ignorance.” Bhagavad-gita 17.8-10
- (2:46) We need proper information in order to make conscious food choices; for example, food in the mode of goodness automatically has an uplifting result in your life.
- (7:06) The whole material world is comprised of three modes of material nature; goodness, passion and ignorance. We have the power to change which influences we are under, and one of the main ways is by what we eat.
- (17:26) You’re going to feel different inside if you eat mode of goodness food; “Foods in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one’s existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction” Bhagavad-gita 17.8-10
- (29:34) According to the Vedas, meat should not be consumed. But if that’s what we want, we will always find the arguments to allow us to maintain our destructive lifestyle and give a feeling that “I’m okay”. The Vedic system of health is handed down since time immemorial.
- (37:20) Certain lifestyles are going to have an effect on your heart; either by making it softer or harder. If you actually develop love for other living entities, you can’t do the cruel things that are necessary to produce the food that your tongue has become addicted to.
- (47:08) Changing our diet can be a very gradual evolution towards more vegetarian foodstuffs. And suddenly you’ll start to see that actually, all that McDonalds has to offer is a decent bathroom.
Recorded on February 15, 2022. Read episode transcript on https://breakingtrail.life/podcast/43
Watch video version, join our email list, contribute, etc: